Verbannen

Reacties
    13-02-2008

Lightbulb Islam, Charles Darwin and the denial of science

Islam, Charles Darwin and the denial of science
    A growing number of biology and medical students are rejecting the very basis of their chosen subject in favour of creationism.

(bron)

(een follow-up op het recente bericht dat Moslims in biologie- en artsen-studies weglopen als de evolutie-theorie aan bod komt)

A few years ago I had an operation to repair a hernia. In that I shared the experience of about one in four British men of my age, in whom a section of intestine breaks through the body wall to form an unpleasant, and potentially dangerous, bulge in the groin. The job was done quickly and efficiently by a surgeon who had, no doubt, done it hundreds of times before.

But why is that procedure needed so often? The story began long ago, when our ancestors were fish. In those happy days the testes were deep within the main body mass, close to the liver (as they still are in our marine cousins). They were connected to the outside world by a pair of straight tubes. Then came the move on to land and the shift from cold blood to warm. That had lots of advantages, but faced the unfortunate male with a problem, for the delicate machinery for making sperm works best at low temperatures, perhaps to reduce the number of errors made as DNA is copied.

The solution was a messy compromise in which the testes migrated south and emerged in their present form in an elegant external sac (which makes them, as I never fail to point out to students, both literally and figuratively the coolest part of any man’s body). To make the journey, the tubes had to loop around some of the bones of the pubic girdle and to pass close to the surface of the body to make a weak point where, now and again, the intestine makes a break for freedom.

Hernias, then, are the result of the imperfect process of evolution, of the slow accumulation of successful mistakes and of the inevitable pressure of compromise. A surgeon may not need to know that and the first hernia operations were carried out well before The Origin of Species by people who had no idea why the problem arose; and (although I doubt it) perhaps my own doctor was equally ignorant.

Now, though, we have evolution, the grammar of biology. More and more, students do not like it. I no longer teach medics but I do have a lot of contact with biology undergraduates and go to many schools and to student conferences. Over the past decade there has grown up a determined denial by many people of the truths of modern science.

At University College London we have numbers of Islamic students, almost all dedicated, hard-working and able. Some, unfortunately, refuse to accept Darwin’s theory on faith grounds, as do some of their Christian fellows; and just a couple of years ago a Turkish anti-evolution speaker (a Dr Babuna, as I remember) was invited on to campus to give an account of why The Origin is wrong. He was the scion of an extraordinary – and very rich – anti-evolution organisation based in his native land that has sent out thousands of lavishly illustrated creationist books and has linked Darwinism to Nazism and worse.

Much of their propaganda has been lifted from Christian fundamentalism and there is a certain irony in where it has ended up. I have had plenty of verbal complaints from undergraduates of both persuasions that I am demeaning religion, while others ask that they be excused lectures on my subject, or simply fail to turn up.

In schools things are worse: some kids will walk out rather than listen. Their teachers can be just as bad. The most virulent attack I have had in recent years came from a physics teacher in a respected north London state school, who – to the embarrassment of his colleagues – barracked my talk on evolutionary biology with repeated statements that Darwinism contradicted the laws of thermodynamics. I was forced, uncharacteristically, to be rude.

Anyone, of course, is free to believe whatever they wish. But why train to become a biologist, or a doctor, when you deny the very foundations of your subject? For a biology student to refuse to accept the fact of evolution is equivalent to choosing to do a degree in English without believing in grammar, or in physics with a rooted objection to gravity: it makes no sense at all. The same is true for doctors. How can you put a body right with no idea as to why it is liable to go wrong?

I have tried asking students at quite what point they find my lectures unacceptable: is it the laws of inheritance, mutation, the genes that protect against malaria or cancer, the global shifts in human skin colour, Neanderthal DNA, or the inherited differences between apes and men? Each point is, they say, very interesting – but when I point out that they have just accepted the whole truth of Darwin’s theory they deny that frightful thought. Some take instant umbrage, although a few, thank goodness, do leave the room with a pensive look.

The problem is not with any particular belief system but with belief itself. Sir Francis Bacon once said that: “If a man will begin with certainties, he shall end in doubts; but if he will be content to begin with doubts, he shall end in certainties.” In other words, if you are absolutely sure that you are right whatever the evidence, you will end up in trouble; but if you are always willing to change your mind when the facts change you will emerge with a robust view of how the world works.

I sometimes wonder how many of those who pour their inane opinions about creationism into their young pupils’ ears ever consider the damage they are doing; not to my science, but to their religion. Why, when a student begins to learn the simple and convincing facts, rather than the fantasies, about how life emerged, should he believe anything else that his pastor, his rabbi or his imam has told him? Why build a philosophy based on fixed untruths, when we have so many truths, and so many things still to find out?

The growing tide of fact‑denial is a statement of failure, not by students but by their teachers, up to and including those at university level. We do our best, I think, but faced with schools or faith groups that get their ignorance in first, we seem to be fighting a losing battle. Just a few weeks ago I gave a talk to sixth-formers entitled, provocatively, “Why evolution is right and creationism is wrong”. We had a vigorous discussion at the end in which one lad got me on the back foot by insisting, rightly, that the whole of science is based on uncertainty and that I could not, as a scientist, use a phrase such as “Why evolution is right”. As a compromise I suggested that I would henceforth call the talk: “Why evolution is probably right, and creationism is certainly wrong”. Somehow, I think that will not solve the problem.

Verbannen

Reacties
    03-12-2010

Het resultaat van institutionele achterlijkheid.
    Maar als je dit weet ga je toch nooit meer naar een islamitische arts? Wie is er dan nog zo dom?

Goedlachs.

Reacties
    24-11-2011

Zolang ze genoeg kennis hebben over hoe het lichaam NU functioneert, zie ik 't probleem niet.

Goedlachs.

Reacties
    24-11-2011

Citaat Geplaatst door Suicide-Joe Bekijk reactie
    Besef je je wel hoe achterlijk dat klinkt?
    Hierbij een roodje voor jou.

Verbannen

Reacties
    13-02-2008

Citaat Geplaatst door Aphrodite.- Bekijk reactie
    Hierbij een roodje voor jou.
    Desondanks kun je je toch wel degelijk afvragen wat iemand op een biologie-opleiding doet als hij niet door 1 deur kan met de evolutie-theorie.

En een (toekomstige)arts die wetenschap op deze manier afwijst moet zich toch ook echt eens achter de oren krabben.

Verbannen

Reacties
    03-12-2010

Zolang ze genoeg kennis hebben over hoe het lichaam NU functioneert, zie ik 't probleem niet.
    Waarschijnlijk omdat je zelf ook die institutionele achterlijkheid onderschrijft.

Goedlachs.

Reacties
    24-11-2011

Citaat Geplaatst door Seal97 Bekijk reactie
    Desondanks kun je je toch wel degelijk afvragen wat iemand op een biologie-opleiding doet als hij niet door 1 deur kan met de evolutie-theorie.

En een (toekomstige)arts die wetenschap op deze manier afwijst moet zich toch ook echt eens achter de oren krabben.
    Wat maakt 't uit?
    Als hij maar weet wanneer hij welke antibiotica moet voorschrijven.

Goedlachs.

Reacties
    24-11-2011

Citaat Geplaatst door __Q__ Bekijk reactie
    Waarschijnlijk omdat je zelf ook die institutionele achterlijkheid onderschrijft.
    Rood à volonté.

Verbannen

Reacties
    03-12-2010

Rood à volonté.
    Mn opmerking was kennelijk raak.

Goedlachs.

Reacties
    24-11-2011

Mn opmerking was kennelijk raak.
    Niet echt, maar vind het ongehoord om iemands visie achterlijk te noemen.

Verbannen

Reacties
    03-12-2010

Niet echt, maar vind het ongehoord om iemands visie achterlijk te noemen.
    En als die visie nou achterlijk is? Mag je dat niet zeggen dan?
    Alsof jij evolutie afwijst op basis van data. Nee enkel vanwege een doctrine; dat IS achterlijk meid.

Verbannen

Reacties
    13-02-2008

Wat maakt 't uit?
    Als hij maar weet wanneer hij welke antibiotica moet voorschrijven.
    Ehm, medicijnen komen mede tot stand door evolutie en moeten vernieuwd worden vanwege evolutie.

Wat zo vreemd is, is dat veel gelovigen zich zo laten voorliegen over evolutie. Er zijn wereldwijd sprekers die de meest verschrikkelijke onzin verkondigen over de evolutie-theorie en dat wordt dan voor waarheid aangenomen door kinderen en jeugd die later een wetenschappelijke opleiding gaan volgen waarbij ze dus al beginnen met een achterstand. Het denkproces van die lui is verstoord.

Zoals het artikel al schrijft:
    The problem is not with any particular belief system but with belief itself. Sir Francis Bacon once said that: “If a man will begin with certainties, he shall end in doubts; but if he will be content to begin with doubts, he shall end in certainties.” In other words, if you are absolutely sure that you are right whatever the evidence, you will end up in trouble; but if you are always willing to change your mind when the facts change you will emerge with a robust view of how the world works.

Verbannen

Reacties
    03-12-2010

Citaat Geplaatst door Jade-21 Bekijk reactie
    Wetenschap en islam gaan wel degelijk hand in hand samen.
    Maar je hoeft niet te verwachten dat mensen de evolutieleer-crap voor hete koek slikken.
    Tuurlijk, dat kunnen we ook duidelijk zien; binnenhuis architecten zijn de islamitische evolutiedeskundigen.
    Er is geen grotere antiwetenschap dan de islam, wat ook bevestigd wordt door de totale afwezigheid van moslims in de wetenschap.

Verbannen

Reacties
    13-02-2008

Citaat Geplaatst door Jade-21 Bekijk reactie
    Wetenschap en islam gaan wel degelijk hand in hand samen.
    Maar je hoeft niet te verwachten dat mensen de evolutieleer-crap voor zoete koek slikken.
    Och, daar heb je haar ook weer... jij evolueert nochthans om de dag in iemand anders.

Maar goed, even serieus: de evolutie-theorie staat velen malen sterker dan tal van andere wetenschappelijke theorieën waarmee gelovigen dan in ene geen moeite hebben.

Komt het doordat er zoveel leugens worden verteld over de evolutie-theorie?

Goedlachs.

Reacties
    24-11-2011

En als die visie nou achterlijk is? Mag je dat niet zeggen dan?
    Alsof jij evolutie afwijst op basis van data. Nee enkel vanwege een doctrine; dat IS achterlijk meid.
    Evolutietheorie vriend, theorie. Je kent de definitie van theorie?

Tags voor deze discussie