Bekijk volle/desktop versie : Ontdekking standbeelden op de Paaseilanden

12-06-2015, 12:02
A Surprising Easter Island Heads Discovery

Time takes its toll on any piece of land. Wind will cause erosion in some places, but it'll also cause debris to pile up in others. That's [an incredibly simple version of] what happened on Easter Island. The "Easter Island Heads" that we know so well actually have a bit more going for them than their striking faces — they've got bodies, too!

Time takes its toll on any piece of land. Wind will cause erosion in some places, but it'll also cause debris to pile up in others. That's [an incredibly simple version of] what happened on Easter Island. The "Easter Island Heads" that we know so well actually have a bit more going for them than their striking faces — they've got bodies, too!

It's not a new revelation, but it's a fun fact I'm still able to surprise friends with, so I'm guessing it's probably news to some of you. They're called "moai" by the natives, and they were likely carved between 1250 and 1500. The heaviest of the bunch weighs 86 tons, and the fact that it was built elsewhere before being relocated to their eventual landing places is considered an unbelievable physical feat.

Between 1722 and 1868, all of the moai on the island were toppled during turmoil between rival island clans. The only statues that remained standing were the infamous ones on the slopes of Rano Raraku — the ones that had been buried up to their necks. They remain in their places to this day.

Have you heard about this already, or have you been to Easter Island? Can you think of any other similar occurrences? I'd love to take a trip to that part of the world, though it'd likely be a one-stop vacation. Easter Island is one of the most remote islands with a population in the world. Can you say "getaway?" Let us know in the comments below, and be sure to share it with your friends on Facebook! They'll surely thank you later.

http://sfglobe.com/2015/06/08/a-surprising-easter-island-heads-discovery/?src=sidexpromo&pid=35944&eid=35944