Bekijk volle/desktop versie : Canadese professor bekeert zich tot de Islam

Pagina's : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

03-04-2012, 13:38
A Canadian university professor converted to Islam in Saudi Arabia, saying he had found a completely different religion from what is depicted in the West.

David Woelke, an English language teacher at King Abdul Aziz University in the western Red Sea port of Jeddah, converted to Islam amidst applause and chanting by the audience at an Islamic conference in the city.

“I used to go to church quite often in my country and noticed there is a big difference between the two religions….I have found that the media in the west is presenting Islam in a deformed way,” said Woelke, who changed his first name to Dawood, according to Saudi newspapers.

“I decided to embrace Islam because I was convinced of it…I had first decided to study it from the cultural point of view but when I came to Saudi Arabia, I found the picture is completely different from that depicted in the West....the more I knew about Islam, the more I became attached to it…in the end, I found myself convinced of it and decided to embrace it.”
http://www.emirates247.com/news/region/canadian-professor-converts-to-islam-in-saudi-2012-04-01-1.451484

03-04-2012, 13:41

Je hebt het er maar druk mee.

03-04-2012, 13:42
Mijn god heeft een grotere!

03-04-2012, 13:46
ontopic blijven

03-04-2012, 13:47

Wow.............toch niet DE David Woelke, hoop ik ?

03-04-2012, 13:59

Citaat door _Nash_:
Wow.............toch niet DE David Woelke, hoop ik ?
Nee, de Canadese, die was goedkoper.

03-04-2012, 14:19

Citaat door Marouan222:
A Canadian university professor converted to Islam in Saudi Arabia, saying he had found a completely different religion from what is depicted in the West.

David Woelke, an English language teacher at King Abdul Aziz University in the western Red Sea port of Jeddah, converted to Islam amidst applause and chanting by the audience at an Islamic conference in the city.

“I used to go to church quite often in my country and noticed there is a big difference between the two religions….I have found that the media in the west is presenting Islam in a deformed way,” said Woelke, who changed his first name to Dawood, according to Saudi newspapers.

“I decided to embrace Islam because I was convinced of it…I had first decided to study it from the cultural point of view but when I came to Saudi Arabia, I found the picture is completely different from that depicted in the West....the more I knew about Islam, the more I became attached to it…in the end, I found myself convinced of it and decided to embrace it.”
http://www.emirates247.com/news/region/canadian-professor-converts-to-islam-in-saudi-2012-04-01-1.451484
Het is ongelofelijk.

Een leraar Engels die zich bekeert, het moet niet gekker worden.

03-04-2012, 14:29

Citaat door Hominid:
Het is ongelofelijk.

Een leraar Engels die zich bekeert, het moet niet gekker worden.
Een -gelovige- leraar Engels he...

03-04-2012, 14:48
Why I am an atheist – Nick Harding

Richard Dawkins likes to compare openness about one’s atheism with coming out of the closet, but in my case they were even more closely related.

Like so many kids I repressed my homosexuality out of religious (in my case, Christian) compunction and social phobia. But once I finally begrudged myself some sex in college, I knew intuitively that I hadn’t done anything wrong. I reacted against the idea of the victimless crime, described as sin by the Bible. But while I had shed my denominational identity, I remained stuck in a kind of anachronistic deism. Indeed, having jettisoned the doctrine of original sin, I probably overcompensated with an overly optimistic view of nature and its presumbaly benevolent creator.

So I was in for a shock when some of my friends started coming down with, and dying from, AIDS (this was the early nineties). Of course I knew about it from reading the newspaper and watching television, but I had put off revising my worldview until now. How to explain AIDS? Of course I already knew that it wasn’t divine punishment because there was nothing wrong with sex and, anyway, it had spared many “fornicators” including myself. But it didn’t exactly accord with my new-model deism either. I was experiencing a crisis that was as much intellectual as emotional.

Resolution beckoned in the form of evolution, which I had learned in high school but never related to my daily life in that hiatus between polio and AIDS. With its frequent mutations in response to medication, HIV was (and still is) the poster child for evolution. I began to take a more jaundiced view of nature, which seemed increasingly like a struggle for existence. But I found reassurance in the thought that all this took place without reference to morality or values, instead deriving from the virus’s need to replicate and adapt to its environment.

I suppose plenty of people going back to Asa Gray have been able to reconcile evolution with their religious beliefs. But as I was seeing it in its cruelest guise, I could not. To me, evolution was an irrational and wasteful process that was fundamentally incompatible with any definition of creation. And if you take away creation, what is left for a god to do?

So it was my experience as a gay man, specifically of religious homophobia and the AIDS epidemic, that brought me to atheism. At first glance, those seem to have little in common besides their coincidental effect on the gay community. But in accepting my sexuality and recognizing the true nature of AIDS, I embraced what is rather than what cannot be. To me, atheism is the “reality-based community” of journalists’ dreams.

Nick Harding

---

Ik denk dat deze heel erg van toepassing is:

" If god doesn't like the way I live, Let him tell me, not you. "

03-04-2012, 14:53

Citaat door Abracadaver:
]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-EnvwMrQ-4DQ/TyhMt2E1OhI/AAAAAAAAADM/C5Dg0msa-3A/s1600/turven.jpg

Je hebt het er maar druk mee.

b7halek int liyekfirbillah

zehma hadek li lista djel le yigdem fil knisse le yit3hadda al a drarri

03-04-2012, 14:55

Citaat door hork:
Mijn god heeft een grotere!

aleysh tid7hak int we tekul "Mijn god" int ma3endek "god" skoen "god"djelek ?

03-04-2012, 14:55

Citaat door ABDERRAOUF:
b7halek int liyekfirbillah

zehma hadek li lista djel le yigdem fil knisse le yit3hadda al a drarri
42!

03-04-2012, 14:59

Citaat door Seal97:
]Why I am an atheist –

homosexuality

AIDS
AIDS?
sex
AIDS.
HIV
virus

homophobia

AIDS epidemic,

to atheism

gay community

AIDS,

Nick Harding

deba f7himtek

03-04-2012, 14:59

Citaat door Seal97:
42!

mafhemtek yakafirbillah

03-04-2012, 15:00

Citaat door ABDERRAOUF:
deba f7himtek
Wederom: 42!

Pagina's : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27