Bekijk volle/desktop versie : ARSENAL have completed the signing of Belgium defender Thomas Vermaelen from Ajax.

19-06-2009, 19:27
Vermaelen, 23, joined Ajax in 2004 and has made over 100 appearances for the Dutch club.

The undisclosed fee is reported to have been in the region of £11million.

Gunners boss Arsene Wenger has moved quickly to strengthen a squad which was often exploited at the back last season, when Arsenal eventually recovered some consistency to finish in fourth place.

Arsenal face a play-off to reach the group stages of the Champions League, but Vermaelen is in no doubt of just what his new club — who were knocked out at the semi-final stage of both the FA Cup and in Europe — can achieve.

Vermaelen said: "Arsenal is a great club with a world class manager, high quality players and a fantastic stadium.

"Everything is set up for Arsenal to be very successful for years to come and I joined this club because I know Arsenal will be challenging for trophies.

"I have had a good taste of the Champions League during my time with Ajax and this is something I am looking forward to experiencing again with Arsenal."

Vermaelen, who captained Ajax last season and played against the Gunners in the 2005/2006 European campaign, added: "I am also looking forward to playing in the English Premier League, which for me, is the best league in the world.

"I just want to assure the Arsenal fans that I will give everything for this club and I hope we can enjoy winning some trophies together next season."

Wenger was keen to add to his defensive options, which were depleted towards the end of the campaign by injury to veteran William Gallas, who could now be allowed to leave Emirates Stadium.

The Gunners boss is confident Vermaelen will add some steel to the rearguard.

Wenger said: "Thomas is a solid performer with good experience of Champions League and UEFA Cup football and is also a regular with the Belgium national team.

"Thomas is primarily a left-footed centre-back, but he is multi-functional and can also play at left-back.

"He is strong technically with a positive winner's attitude and I have no doubt his arrival will strengthen our team.

"Thomas Vermaelen will be a huge asset to Arsenal."