Bekijk volle/desktop versie : Ingrijpen in Pakistan.........?

Pagina's : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

01-05-2009, 04:58
Barack Obama reveals his fears for Pakistan

US President Barack Obama said yesterday he was "gravely concerned" about the stability of the Pakistani Government and did not rule out US intervention if the Islamic power's nuclear weapons fell into extremist hands.

In a prime-time news conference marking the 100-day milestone of his presidency, Mr Obama gave an assurance that, one way or another, Pakistan's nuclear arsenal would not fall into the hands of Islamic extremists.

He said he was confident "primarily, initially" because he believed Pakistan would handle the issue on its own. But he left the door open to eventual US action to secure the weapons if needed.

Pakistani army forces are at war with Taliban insurgents who have been advancing on Islamabad, and Mr Obama said he believed the Government was serious about fighting Islamic militants.

But Mr Obama said the civilian Government of President Asif Ali Zardari, who is due in Washington next week, was unable to provide basic services that would ensure people's loyalty.

"I am gravely concerned about the situation in Pakistan, not because I think that they're immediately going to be overrun and the Taliban would take over in Pakistan," Mr Obama said.

"I'm more concerned that the civilian Government there right now is very fragile."

"We want to respect their sovereignty, but we also recognise that we have huge strategic interests - huge national security interests - in making sure that Pakistan is stable and that you don't end up having a nuclear-armed militant state."

Pressed on whether the US would intervene if Pakistan's nuclear arsenal were under threat, Mr Obama said he would not respond to a hypothetical question.

Mr Obama, who has put a new focus on rooting out extremism in Pakistan and Afghanistan, has continued the previous administration's controversial drone attacks to kill terror suspects inside Pakistan. But Mr Obama also declared that the practice of waterboarding - simulated drowning, which was used on at least three terrorist detainees - violated US "ideals and values".

"I do believe that it is torture," the US President told the White House press corps when asked if waterboarding was torture.

"I don't think that's just my opinion; that's the opinion of many who've examined the topic. And that's why I put an end to these practices."

Bush administration officials, including former vice-president Dick Cheney, have admitted waterboarding was used on a limited number of detainees. It was confirmed in the so-called torture memos released by the Obama administration last month.

It was revealed that 9/11 planner Khalid Shaikh Mohammed was waterboarded more than 180 times but the Bush administration argued key plots were unveiled and the interrogation of Mohammed helped lead to the capture of Bali bombing architect Riduan "Hambali" Isamuddin.

But Mr Obama's statement yesterday was his most declarative statement so far as President that torture was used and it will embolden those calling for prosecutions of former Bush administration officials.

Mr Obama said the waterboarding and other methods dubbed enhanced interrogation techniques "corrodes the character of a country". He has banned the practices, saying "I am absolutely convinced that it was the right thing to do". "Not because there might not have been information that was yielded by these various detainees who were subjected to this treatment, but because we could have gotten this information in other ways - in ways that were consistent with our values, in ways that were consistent with who we are."

He said he believed that the steps taken to prevent these kind of enhanced interrogation techniques would make "us stronger over the long term, and make us safer over the long term because it will put us in a position where we can still get information".

"In some cases, it may be harder. But part of what makes us, I think, still a beacon to the world is that we are willing to hold true to our ideals, even when it's hard, not just when it's easy."

Bron: http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25410056-2703,00.html

01-05-2009, 10:25

Vragen de Pakistanen op een enkele na die niet wilt integreren en dus moet oprotten om inval?

Ze willen enkel dat de Taliban regeert en onheil en verderf verjaagt. Vrede in Pakistan dankzij de Taliban

Maar dat willen babymoordenaars uit het westen niet erkennen, die leven nog 400 jaar terug in de tijd en willen iedereen uitroeien die niet blank is.

01-05-2009, 10:28
natuurlijk en hard

01-05-2009, 10:32

Citaat door melkisgoed:
Vragen de Pakistanen op een enkele na die niet wilt integreren en dus moet oprotten om inval?

Ze willen enkel dat de Taliban regeert en onheil en verderf verjaagt. Vrede in Pakistan dankzij de Taliban

Maar dat willen babymoordenaars uit het westen niet erkennen, die leven nog 400 jaar terug in de tijd en willen iedereen uitroeien die niet blank is.

Ja. De taliban komt vrede brengen.....

01-05-2009, 10:35

Citaat door Globilinni:
Ja. De taliban komt vrede brengen.....

De taliban komt vrede brengen

Ongelooflijk wat misleide mensen allemaal beweren terwijl ze niet eens weten waar Pakistan ligt. Ik ga er zelf elk jaar heen en heb heel veel contact daar en ze willen niets liever dan dat de Taliban regeert.

De enkele Pakistaan die dat niet bevalt is verslaafd aan films en alcohol en moet gewoon oprotten uit Pakistan, het land der reinen.

01-05-2009, 10:39

Citaat door melkisgoed:
De taliban komt vrede brengen

Ongelooflijk wat misleide mensen allemaal beweren terwijl ze niet eens weten waar Pakistan ligt. Ik ga er zelf elk jaar heen en heb heel veel contact daar en ze willen niets liever dan dat de Taliban regeert.

De enkele Pakistaan die dat niet bevalt is verslaafd aan films en alcohol en moet gewoon oprotten uit Pakistan, het land der reinen.

.......dan laten we de pakistanen lekker aan hun lot over. Ik ben tegen ingrijpen. Mensen moeten het zelf maar eens gaan uitzoeken in de wereld.

Citaat door GailigeGaliet:
Ik ben juist blij dat de taliban pakistan overneemt. Nu moeten ze nog de kernwapens in handen krijgen dan wordt het helemaal feest.

Yep, ingrijpen en al die melkproducten tot kaas verwerken ..

Citaat door Globilinni:
.......dan laten we de pakistanen lekker aan hun lot over. Ik ben tegen ingrijpen. Mensen moeten het zelf maar eens gaan uitzoeken in de wereld.

01-05-2009, 11:16

Ik ben juist blij dat de taliban pakistan overneemt. Nu moeten ze nog de kernwapens in handen krijgen dan wordt het helemaal feest.
We moesten dat moment maar voor zijn, want anders dan moeten we echt even wat van onze oude kernwapens opmaken voor een wereld met minder kernwapens. Snijdt het mes wel aan twee kanten...

01-05-2009, 11:52

Mooiste zin van de dag

01-05-2009, 12:10

Citaat door -------:
Mooiste zin van de dag

Zou je het wel leuk vinden als de Taliban een paarhonderdduizend mensen vermoorden met een kernbom?

01-05-2009, 12:11

Wij liggen net 1 a 2 duizend kilometer buiten de range van die dingen, dus ik denk niet dat Nederland direct gevaar loopt, maar ik kan me goed voorstellen dat India erg graag wil dat er ingegrepen wordt. Het is tenslotte bekend hoe gewelddadig en ontoerekeningsvatbaar extreem gelovigen zijn.

01-05-2009, 12:13

Citaat door Tanit:
Barack Obama reveals his fears for Pakistan

US President Barack Obama said yesterday he was "gravely concerned" about the stability of the Pakistani Government and did not rule out US intervention if the Islamic power's nuclear weapons fell into extremist hands.

In a prime-time news conference marking the 100-day milestone of his presidency, Mr Obama gave an assurance that, one way or another, Pakistan's nuclear arsenal would not fall into the hands of Islamic extremists.

He said he was confident "primarily, initially" because he believed Pakistan would handle the issue on its own. But he left the door open to eventual US action to secure the weapons if needed.

Pakistani army forces are at war with Taliban insurgents who have been advancing on Islamabad, and Mr Obama said he believed the Government was serious about fighting Islamic militants.

But Mr Obama said the civilian Government of President Asif Ali Zardari, who is due in Washington next week, was unable to provide basic services that would ensure people's loyalty.

"I am gravely concerned about the situation in Pakistan, not because I think that they're immediately going to be overrun and the Taliban would take over in Pakistan," Mr Obama said.

"I'm more concerned that the civilian Government there right now is very fragile."

"We want to respect their sovereignty, but we also recognise that we have huge strategic interests - huge national security interests - in making sure that Pakistan is stable and that you don't end up having a nuclear-armed militant state."

Pressed on whether the US would intervene if Pakistan's nuclear arsenal were under threat, Mr Obama said he would not respond to a hypothetical question.

Mr Obama, who has put a new focus on rooting out extremism in Pakistan and Afghanistan, has continued the previous administration's controversial drone attacks to kill terror suspects inside Pakistan. But Mr Obama also declared that the practice of waterboarding - simulated drowning, which was used on at least three terrorist detainees - violated US "ideals and values".

"I do believe that it is torture," the US President told the White House press corps when asked if waterboarding was torture.

"I don't think that's just my opinion; that's the opinion of many who've examined the topic. And that's why I put an end to these practices."

Bush administration officials, including former vice-president Dick Cheney, have admitted waterboarding was used on a limited number of detainees. It was confirmed in the so-called torture memos released by the Obama administration last month.

It was revealed that 9/11 planner Khalid Shaikh Mohammed was waterboarded more than 180 times but the Bush administration argued key plots were unveiled and the interrogation of Mohammed helped lead to the capture of Bali bombing architect Riduan "Hambali" Isamuddin.

But Mr Obama's statement yesterday was his most declarative statement so far as President that torture was used and it will embolden those calling for prosecutions of former Bush administration officials.

Mr Obama said the waterboarding and other methods dubbed enhanced interrogation techniques "corrodes the character of a country". He has banned the practices, saying "I am absolutely convinced that it was the right thing to do". "Not because there might not have been information that was yielded by these various detainees who were subjected to this treatment, but because we could have gotten this information in other ways - in ways that were consistent with our values, in ways that were consistent with who we are."

He said he believed that the steps taken to prevent these kind of enhanced interrogation techniques would make "us stronger over the long term, and make us safer over the long term because it will put us in a position where we can still get information".

"In some cases, it may be harder. But part of what makes us, I think, still a beacon to the world is that we are willing to hold true to our ideals, even when it's hard, not just when it's easy."

Bron: http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25410056-2703,00.html

Ingrijpen in Pakistan is niet nodig. Als die kernwapens daar (tijdelijk) weggehaald worden om ze op een veiliger plaats op te slaan is het risico dat de Taliban die wapens krijgen weggenomen.

01-05-2009, 12:19

Citaat door led_zeppelin:
Zou je het wel leuk vinden als de Taliban een paarhonderdduizend mensen vermoorden met een kernbom?

Tja, dan zal het onderstaande bericht er volgend jaar wel anders uit zien.

http://www.volkskrant.nl/buitenland/article1191427.ece/Wereldwijd_minder_doden_door_aanslagen

Pagina's : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10